“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” ― Nelson Mandela
Certainly, there are so many scholarship hunters who are looking for the scholarship as a start to change destiny. I was not the person with a high passion to find the scholarship to pursue education. I already had a degree in International Relations and worked in five-star airlines company in the world which is also a government-owned corporation with a good career progress. I had no worry about my future but before the age of 30, life is an adventure. I always believe that getting out from the comfort zone is the only way to reach success. The world is always moving forward and the competition is getting higher. It is very important to have a high qualification as the tool to run with the world.
It is easy for some people with good financial support to have a better education. In the other side, there are also a lot of people who have competencies but do not have the good financial condition to support their dreams. Getting a scholarship is the only way.
The USA, UK or Australia might still become the targets of many scholarship hunters. Even though I finally got a full scholarship to study at the University of Leeds, United Kingdom, I started my life abroad in Turkey with a scholarship from the Turkish government, Turkiye Burslari. So Turkey, with all of its potential could be another choice.
The reasons why I chose Turkey:
1. Many of universities in Turkey are listed as top 700 best universities in the world
2. As a Moslem, doing worship in Turkey is not difficult. Although Turkey is a secular country, most of the people are embracing Islam
3. Turkey is very unique, located between two continents. The Europe sensation with Asia touch definitely is an unforgettable experience. Under the Ottoman Empire, Turkey once became the major superpower in Europe
4. The high economic development of Turkey makes it become more attractive, the powerful country with many opportunities
5. I got many rejections from other scholarships :-))
Among many scholarships, probably Turkiye Burslari has the most interesting programmes, including Turkish Language Course which is required before starting the study. It is fully funded by the Turkish government. The fund is taken from education department that is allocated specially for international students. The purpose is to strengthen the relationship between Turkey and the applicant countries.
Why Turkiye Burslari Scholarship?
1. This scholarship is given to applicant from any level; Undergraduate, Master and PhD. There are also a Summer Course and Research Program, available for a couple of months
Usually, the registration for undergraduate, master, and PhD. is opened at the beginning of March and closed at the end of March each year. The registration for some of the undergraduate study programs is also opened and closed in May.
2. The selection process is relatively easy. TOEFL/ IELTS score is not necessary for the course which is offered in the Turkish language. There are two stages in the selection process; administrative selection and interview
3. Full scholarship, including flight ticket from home country to Turkey and back to the home country. It also covers accommodation which allows the awardees to stay at the government dormitories, full tuition fees and language preparation course, monthly living allowance and medical insurance
(Check the official website above and the requirements to apply for the scholarship)
The application is only accepted through the official website. For undergraduate applicants, just prepare high school certificate, complete with national examination transcript. For master and PhD. applicants, degree certificate with transcript are essential. When I was applying for the master program, the high school certificate and transcript were also requested. Other documents, such as passport and achievement certificates can be shown to the interviewers after passing the administrative selection.
TOEFL/ IELTS certificate is needed if applying to universities which use English as curriculum language. GRE/GMAT is also needed for master/ PhD. certain programs.
The applicants have to fulfil some questions which need an explanation regarding motivation, future plan, reasons to choose study program and for master or PhD applicants, there is also a question about the relation of study program choice with the previous degree.
The committees will look for best candidates but there is no need to worry about the quota. As long as the applicants have the good record and good answers in the online application, they will call for an interview. For undergraduate applicants, it is important to have a high school certificate with the overall score of 7 and for master/ PhD applicants, the GPA should be 3.0 or above. No matter if it is the public or private institution, they will review it based on individual performance. So, do not worry if any of you are graduated from unpopular universities.
This stage proves that 75 per cent of the chance to get the scholarship is already in hand. The other 25 per cent is interview performance. Usually, the announcement for candidates who pass the administrative selection is sent by email one month after the registration closed. When I applied, the announcement was sent on 22nd April 2014, followed by an invitation for the interview, held on 27th April 2014.
The interview is held in the Turkish Embassy with Turkish interviewers who come directly from Turkey. If there are not many applicants from a certain country, the interview will be held via phone call or skype. I was interviewed by two interviewers at the Turkish Embassy in Jakarta. It was fully in English.
Interviewers will check the documents attached in registration with the hard copies that are brought during the interview. The key to performing well is preparing answers to the questions that have been asked when registering online. The answer for basic question tags, 4W1H (What, Who, When, Why, and How) can be prepared before the interview to complete the performance. Other than that, just relax, be confident and consider the interviewers are friends who will be able to listen to individual stories.
The announcement for the final result will be in one until two months after the interview. But in my case, I got the result announcement on 26th July 2014.
I did not finish my master degree in Turkey, as I realised that living and studying in Turkey is not really my passion. After living in Turkey for 1,5 years, I decided to resign from the scholarship and pursued my dream since I was a child, living in the UK. I received the full scholarship from the Indonesian government and started my master degree program in International Business at the University of Leeds in September 2016.
I finished my Turkish Language Program and awarded as the best international student with the highest score in the Turkish Language exam. However, this new language skill was not enough to finish my degree there.
In Turkey, I reached the highest point of my life as well as the lowest when I finally had to move out of the country but I never regret my decision to leave my career in Indonesia, as I understand that everything happens for a reason. This was only the beginning of my journey.
So, if you are sure that Turkey is the right place to start your adventure out of your home countries, Turkiye Burslari is probably the best way to open the gate.